Dealing with abuse complaints to non-existent contacts

Gabriel Marais gabriel.j.marais at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 15:19:49 UTC 2014

Hi Nanog

I'm curious.

I have been receiving some major ssh brute-force attacks coming from random
hosts in the 116.8.0.0 - 116.11.255.255 network. I have sent a complaint to
the e-mail addresses obtained from a whois query on one of the IP Addresses.

My e-mail bounced back from both recipients. Once being rejected by filter
and the other because the e-mail address doesn't exist. I would have
thought that contact details are rather important to be up to date, or not?

Besides just blocking the IP range on my firewall, I was wondering what
others would do in this case?

Regards, Gabriel