IPv6 route annoucement

Stuart Sheldon stu at actusa.net
Thu Aug 7 21:05:50 UTC 2014

No, it's not mis-sized. And no, you should advertise it all.

I would advertise the /44 without reservation.

Stuart Sheldon
ACT USA
AS22937

On 08/07/2014 01:58 PM, John York wrote:
> Hoping to not start a war...
>
> We (a multi-homed end-user site) are finally getting IPv6-enabled Internet
> connectivity from one of our ISPs. In conversations regarding our BGP
> config, the ISP has balked at allowing us to advertise our ARIN-assigned
> /44, saying things like, "do you know how many addresses that is!!??"
>
> Am I way off base in thinking this network size is not out of the norm? I
> know it's a lot of addresses (19 octillion-something?), but that
> assignment was based on the same criteria that got us a /22 in v4 space.
> Should accepting a /44 in v6 not be equivalent, policy-wise, to accepting
> a /22 in v4?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> John York
> Information Technology | Network Administrator
>
> Phone:
> 615-399-7000 x:333
>
> Griffin Technology
> 2030 Lindell Avenue Nashville, TN  37203 USA

- --
My pockets are empty though my wife has sent me to the store for some
cigarettes and bread... I started walkin there, got as far as the
square, then the smell of beer went to my head... The thing about
beer, it can make a man hear, voices from days long since past, and
with every third drink, it will make you think that your youth will
always last...
                -- BR549 - "Lifetime to Prove Lyrics"