Remooted: a deployment design for Muni Fiber (was Re: Muni Fiber and Politics)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 7 14:35:28 UTC 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 4:01 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> Is there any way we could stop this discussion until we can get some participants who have experience doing things like emergency post-ice-storm overhead circuit restoration to show up and explain exactly why charging a small one-time fee for a fiber from A to Z is probably not a sustainable model?

I completely agree that XC without MRC is an unsustainable model, but I believe only one person proposed that, so I don’t think calling for an end to the discussion just because you realize what everyone but one person does is warranted.

> In the meantime, I'd like to see the city where an ISP can buy as many of the microducts as they want. I'd like to buy them all, please... though I have no intention of running anything though them, as I'm an investor in the local cable TV company.

Which seems to support my argument for direct fiber PREM<->Serving Wire Center.

Owen