Muni Fiber and Politics

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Tue Aug 5 17:56:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> >> This one is a bad idea cause you have lots of people pushing fiber
> through
> >> pipes with active fiber in them... and their incentives not to screw up
> >> other people's glass are... unclear?  :-)
> >
> > Not really, if one company starts making mistakes, the other will also
> > mistake their cables. It's like a working mexican standoff :)
> >

> In reality, Mexican standoffs are often fatal.

If you blink.

> >> Oh, wait: the conduit installer isn't a contractor, they're a monopoly?
> > The people pushing fiber through the conduits are contractors. There are
> > handful of companies licensed to operate this.
>
> May be workable, but seems more expensive than operating cross connects in
> a serving wire center with little or no plausible benefit.

So how is blowing microfibre in some tubes more expensive? You pay a one
off installation fee and then a small monthly rate for the circuit (payable
yearly).

The really nice and geeky part is that you can actually choose how your
fiber will run, so if you want diverse paths to a location you can achieve
that with certainty.

> >> No, that's even worse.
> >

> > It's not perfect, but it works.
>
> People say that about windows. I don't use it, either.

:) It works because it's very cheap to get high speed internet into all
kinds of areas, especially residential ones.