ASR9K xml agent vs netconf

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Tue Aug 5 13:32:28 UTC 2014

Thus spake Jeremy (jbaino at gmail.com) on Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 03:07:19PM -0700:

> I'm currently working on writing some automation around the ASR9K platform
> and I've been looking at both the netconf and xml interfaces. Anyone have
> experience with either?
>
> It looks like the XML interface is much more feature rich, supporting both
> config and operational state objects where netconf is limited to config
> only.
>
> Currently I'm leaning towards the xml interface,

I wasted a week of my life trying to get xml interface on n9k to work
correctly.  I would never use it again, as it obviously gets no QA.

There is likely a fundamental design flaw in that the cli is not itself
an xml client like you see on other platforms.  The XML interface, and
CLI (presumably netconf) may all be distinct clients to sysdb.  I did
get (3) ddts' assigned, related to missing data compared to cli, endian
issues, etc.  My recommendation is DO NOT USE IT.

I went back to screen scraping for ios-xr.  Related to this and other
issues, all of our subsequent purchases have been MX.

Dale
AS{59,2381,3128}