question about bgp incremental updates

arbor.net rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Aug 4 08:53:59 UTC 2014

On Aug 4, 2014, at 9:29 AM, Song Li <refresh.lsong at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to this principle, if an AS suddenly announced a lot of updates (as below), can it be regarded as an anomaly such as BGP session reset?

Yes.  It's wise to monitor BGP announcements received from peers, and to investigate when large numbers of announcements or withdrawals take place simultaneously.

> I wish to know if there are other reasons can result in this anomaly.

Human error, deliberate disaggregation for traffic-engineering purposes, accidental or deliberate hijacking, turning up new peering links, et. al. can result in sudden flurries of route announcements/withdrawals.

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

    		   	  -- Laocoön