Muni Fiber and Politics

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Sun Aug 3 14:59:12 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: Muni Fiber and Politics Date: Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 05:11:09AM +0200 Quoting Mark Tinka (mark.tinka at seacom.mu):
> On Sunday, August 03, 2014 01:31:17 AM Måns Nilsson wrote:
>
> > Oh, yes, there is. Multicast? IPv6? Both CAN be done, but
> > probably won't.
>
> I'm talking about the opportunities large bandwidth
> presents, non-technical issues aside.
>
> Certainly, IPv6 and Multicast have a place on a 1Gbps link
> into the customer's home.
>
> Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to say...

My point is that "involving active electronics on a link lease may limit
the ways that link can be used" and that there is a very high probability
-- guesstimated from current "unbundling" infrastructure landscape --
that there will be severe constraints in services possible to provide
if you as provider aren't lighting the path yourself.

The constraints multiply with every OSI layer that is included in the
unbundling offer, of course.

A typical Swedish example is the solution with a "communications
operator" -- a separate entity that owns and operates a layer
2 environment over which several different providers can sell IP
connectivity. In most, if not all, cases in Sweden, the provisioning
and management systems installed simply do not have any idea of an IPv6
address. Shortsighted? Yes, but driven by bad decisions and market needs
NOW. (FSVO "NOW" that is embarrasingly recent...)  A PITA to upgrade? Yes,
of course, and the incentives aren't there, because the communications
operator is a monopoly, so if you want to sell connections, you have to
use them.

The limits imposed on unbundled infrastructure are at the core 100%
business-related; and as long as they are present, there must be regulated
access to passive infrastructure, perhaps even including things like
ducting/manholes/etc.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668