Muni Fiber and Politics

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Aug 2 21:15:28 UTC 2014

There are plenty of cities with zero ISP's interested in serving them today, I can't argue
that point.  However I believe the single largest reason why that is true is that the ISP
today has to bear the capital cost of building out the physical plant to serve the customers.
15-20 year ROI's don't work for small businesses or wall street.

But if those cities were to build a municipal fiber network like we've described, and pay
for it with 15-20 year municipal bonds the ISP's wouldn't have to bear those costs.  They
could come in drop one box in a central location and start offering service.

Which is why I said, if municipalities did this, I am very skeptical there would be more than
a handful without a L3 operator.  You can imagine a city of 50 people in North Dakota
or the Northern Territories might have this issue because the long haul cost to reach the
town is so high, but it's going to be a rare case.  I firmly believe the municipal fiber networks
presence would bring L3 operators to 90-95% of cities.