The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 29 18:14:59 UTC 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

I don’t explain it, don’t justify it, don’t support it.

> Those are “fast lanes" for TV and Voice traffic, are they not?

Carving the pipe up into lanes to begin with is kind of questionable IMHO.
I realize it’s tradition, but if you think about it, it was only necessary
when things were TDM/FDM. Once everything is IP, dividing the IP up among
different TDM/FDM is just a way to take one large fast lane and turn it into
slow lanes (some slower than others, perhaps) where some traffic can be
given preferential treatment.

> They are (largely) anticompetitive, and unavailable to other providers.

Agreed… I thought that’s what I said above.

Owen