The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they couldenshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 28 14:09:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014, Hugo Slabbert wrote:

> Comcast is the destination network for the traffic; they're not providing
> transit services to Netflix.  Comcast needs to accept the Netflix traffic
> that Comcast's customers are requesting *somehow*;  I don't see why they get
> to charge Netflix for a private peering relationship that's beneficial to
> both sides.

If done on a cost-recovery basis (alternating or otherwise), the net cost
to both providers should be small, well within the of the boundaries of a
standard cost of doing business.  That argument also seems to be
overlooked by people in the "Yes, $ISP should be able to charge both
customers and content providers for the same traffic" camp.

jms