The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Mon Apr 28 13:05:24 UTC 2014

* jnanog at gmail.com (Rick Astley) [Mon 28 Apr 2014, 05:08 CEST]:
>If you think prices for residential broadband are bad now if you
>passed a law that says all content providers big and small must have
>settlement free access to the Internet paid for by residential
>subscribers what do you think it would do to the price of broadband?

Lower it?

Right now broadband providers pay a transit provider who then get paid
by content providers to carry the bits, generally because broadband
providers don't want to think about running IP networks because they
their skills lie more in the television part of RF networks.

Content providers are offering to take out that middleman, bringing
everybody's cost down.  Some broadband providers think they deserve
more of a free ride than others.  It also happens that those broadband
providers are generally already more expensive than their competitors.

	-- Niels.