What Net Neutrality should and should not cover

Rick Astley jnanog at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 16:57:40 UTC 2014

I wish you would expand on that to help me understand where you are coming
from but what I pay my ISP for is simply a pipe, I don't know how it would
make sense logically to assume that every entity I communicate with on the
Internet must be able to connect for free because I am covering the tab as
a subscriber. I am not talking about JUST Netflix here as they are a large
company more capable than some smaller ones at buying their own pipes out
to the world. It would be sort of the same concept of my grandmother
calling my cell phone yet we both need to pay for our individual phone
lines to at least reach the carrier tasked with connecting our call. Even
if my grandmother calls a business, that business have phone lines they pay
for. Technically this would be double dipping but it's been the norm for a
very long time.

Now if we will lets talk about where this concept falls apart. Pretend I
run a lemonade stand and my ISP offers to give it free Internet access, how
generous of them! I then meet a businessman from town who is complaining
about what it costs him to connect to the Internet because he has a lot of
equipment that serves data to people all over the place. I see this as an
opportunity to make more money and I say "hey, they don't charge me at all
for Internet access I will make you a deal, I will connect your equipment
to them for 1/3 what you are paying today". "Good deal" says the
businessman. I eagerly ride my bicycle home, pick up my phone, call my ISP
and tell them the news "Hey, thanks for the free service but I need you to
upgrade my connection x5 because I decided to do content delivery for the
businesses in town". "Oh hell no says my ISP, that was not at all the
agreement, your lemonade stand is still free but if you want us to carry
the extra traffic you have to buy more ports the same as everyone else". I
didn't build a successful lemonade stand because I take being treated like
this sitting down! Our now much larger volume of traffic is slow to the ISP
and they are refusing to upgrade it for free, so I call up the media and
have them run a story about how the ISP is intentionally limiting our
traffic and they simply need to upgrade it for free. People are already
paying for the Internet, if they don't give me my free ride they are double
dipping!

Public opinion is in, that mean ISP should be giving me my free access but
the reality of the situation is perhaps a bit different. My lemonade stand
pulled a coup when it became a content provider and demanded a free ride,
and railroading my ISP for it in the media was probably a dishonest thing
to do. I reluctantly agree to pay them for ports for content I am
delivering but "local businessman" from my town has tasted blood and he's
not done yet "Who else has a lemonade stand with free Internet?!" he
proclaims.

I changed some names to protect the Innocent :)