The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Rick Astley jnanog at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:45:04 UTC 2014

If it were through a switch at the exchange it would be on each of them to
individually upgrade their capacity to it but at the capacities they are at
it they are beyond what would make sense financially to go over an exchange
switch so they would connect directly instead. It's likely more along the
lines of needing several 100G ports as Netflix is over 30% of peak usage
traffic in North America:

"Netflix (31.6%) holds its ground as the leading downstream application in
North America and together with YouTube (18.6%) accounts for over 50% of
downstream traffic on fixed networks."  (source
https://www.sandvine.com/trends/global-internet-phenomena/ )

That amount of data is massive scale. I don't see it as double dipping
because each party is buying the pipe they are using. I am buying a 15Mbps
pipe to my home but just because we are communicating over the Internet
doesn't mean the money I am paying covers the cost of your connection too.
You must still buy your own pipe in the same way Netflix would. I covered
this scenario in more detail in my post "What Net Neutrality should and
should not cover" but if you expand on the assumption that paying for an
internet connection also pays for the direct connection of every party who
you exchange traffic with then you have a scenario where only half the
people connected to the Internet should have to pay at all for their
connection because any scenario where people simply buy their own pipe
would be considered "double billing".

The cost for residential broadband is high enough in the US without a
policy like that in place. If there is one policy that would keep poor
families from being able to afford broadband it would be that one.