The Cidr Report

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Sat Apr 26 19:19:43 UTC 2014

> > Historic event - 500K prefixes on the Internet.

> And now we wait for everything to fall over at 512k ;)

Based on a quick plot graph on the CIDR report, it looks like we are adding 6,000 prefixes a month, or thereabouts. So platforms that break at 512K die in two months or less?  Sup720s may need to be reconfigured/rebooted, etc.

Does anyone have doomsday plots of IPv6 prefixes? We are already at something like 20,000 prefixes there, and a surprising number of deaggregates (like /64s) in the global table. IIRC, a bunch of platforms will fall over at 128K/256K IPv6 prefixes (but sooner, really, because of IPv4 dual stack).

Best,

Deepak