Pluggable Coherent DWDM 10Gig

Julien Goodwin nanog at studio442.com.au
Sat Apr 26 06:09:22 UTC 2014

On 26/04/14 16:02, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2014, Julien Goodwin wrote:
>
>> But you'd never send it all the waves anyway, that's far too much loss
>> across the band.
>
> Please elaborate.

At 3dB loss per split you'd very quickly need additional amplification,
at which point the ROADM is cheaper. A static split can do the 80 waves
in much less than the ~20dB a power split would need, and

>> ROADMs already solve this problem, and are available at the module level
>> (how practically available and usable I've no idea, never needed to try).
>
> Compare the price of a ROADM and a 50%/50% light splitter. Which one do
> you think is the cheapest and also operationally most reliable?

Not disagreeing, I'd go with dumb static optics, nearly all the
"reconfigurable" optic selling points don't seem to translate into
actual operational benefits.