The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

Jack Bates jbates at paradoxnetworks.net
Thu Apr 24 21:42:42 UTC 2014

On 4/24/2014 9:59 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> I think you and I disagree on the definition of "anti-competitive".
>
> But that's fine. There is more than one problem to solve. I just figured the FCC thing was timely and operational.

I agree with you, Patrick. Double digit/meg pricing needs to die.

I'm not sure that the change really alters backbone policy, but it would
definitely open the doors for bad things in the access networks. That
being said, only the largest networks could put enough pressure to
benefit from it, and some do that currently. I also don't see this as
any different than the business model some streaming sites enforce where
the ISP must pay for stream access based on their subscribers instead of
interested subscribers just paying for an individual account. Fair is
fair, and some of the streamers have been hitting ISPs longer. Once
again, only the largest streamers can hope to get away with it, and only
the largest ISPs can get the low priced deals. In both cases, it's the
small ISPs and small content providers that suffer.

I don't see the FCC stopping megacorp bullying anytime in the near future.

Jack