US patent 5473599

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Thu Apr 24 12:17:34 UTC 2014

* Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> [2014-04-23 21:46]:
> The process for applying
> for MAC addresses under the IANA OUI was regularized in RFC 5342,
> since updated to and replaced by RFC 7042. See
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7042.txt. Perhaps you were trying
> before RFC 5342?

very possible.

As I have said, I don't have to deal with IETF/IANA/IEEE often - we
prefer to implement standards by far. I wasn't the one doing it for
carp. We're talking about sth that happened 10 years ago. We ran
against walls trying to get a multicast addr, and a protocol number for
pfsync. Also as said before, the mac addr bit has pbly just been
forgotten.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting