nanong list spam filtering

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Apr 24 08:46:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-24 10:29 , Michael DeMan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry being a bit off-topic and having a boring subject, but we really should clean up whatever has been going on with so much spam hitting this mailing list.
>

> NO - I am complaining about people who post things I disagree with or on topics I have little interest in, I am tired of the stuff like...
> subject: Top rated...wireless security cameras--for both indoor & outdoor
> subject: Save on: Hawaii, vacation packages
> (classic) subject: Compare: the best, email marketing services
> subject: Cards reward plans\rates compared(MC-Capital1-Venture-ChaseFreedom-Citicard-BankAmericard-Discover-Visa)
> ...and what not.

None of that junk in my mailboxes or in:
 http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2014-April/thread.html

As such, you might want to check headers...

The primary filter for spam is that one has to be subscribed (to the
right list). This only fails the moment a spammer uses a correct From:
header, which happens, sometimes, but very rarely.

And if that happens, then your local spamchecker should be more than
able to filter that crap out before you see it, especially with such
obvious subjects (though you didn't show the headers nor content...).

Greets,
 Jeroen