Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 19:45:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Matthew Huff <Matthew.Huff at ox.com> wrote:
> I think some of the disconnect is the difference between a provider network and a corporate one.
>
> For example, www.foo.com if it is highly visible and has a high traffic rate would have  load balancers and line rate routers, but no statefull firewalls.
>
> Corporate foo.com, on the other hand, where end-users, and internal servers reside, almost certainly has a statefull firewall.

doesn't this come down to design of the whole system though?

or rather, I bet roland would point out that this comes down to the
design of the whole system... and tradeoffs folk decide to make/break.

watching a corporate mail server complex melt down because some 'well
intentioned admin' put a stateful firewall (with a single rule;
"permit smtp"!) in front of the mail servers ... Having to explain to
them (and losing because 'policy') that 'permit tcp any any eq 25' was
more effective and better for their systems health was quite painful.

eventually the CIO didn't listen and he works elsewhere.

> Personally, if I were told to use only host based security on a corporate network and no central administrated firewall, I'd be shopping my resume.

why? sure there's a place for things like firewalls, but there's also
a fine place for just 'drop packets with filters and don't maintain
state'.  it really comes down to the design goals of the whole system.

-chris