Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 19:18:21 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> If you read what he posted and really believe that is what he is saying, you need to re-think your career decision. It is obvious that he is not saying that.

Roland's saying basically:
  1) if you deploy something on 'the internet' you should secure that something
  2) the securing of that 'thing' should NOT be be placing a stateful
device between your users and the 'thing'.

In a simple case of:
  "Put a web server on the internet"

Roland's advice breaks down to:
  1) deploy server
  2) put acl on upstream router like:
      permit tcp any any eq 80
      deny ip any any
  3) profit

The router + acl will process line-rate traffic without care.

-chris