US patent 5473599

Ryan Shea ryanshea at google.com
Tue Apr 22 14:23:57 UTC 2014

Great news about the patent age.

Paul, sounds like this outage-causing catastrophe you mention could happen
to your competitors _if_ they happened to run vrrp and carp on the same
subnet _and_ happened to have a host identifier conflict - is that right? I
just wanted to clarify.

CARP has been a great solution for me in the past and is one of the
features of BSD I think is great (along with OpenNTPd, OpenBGPd - which
probably have similar standards non-compliance). Has anyone tried to use
the userspace VRRP implementation on Linux... I recall delicacy and
kludginess from the one time I used it - so again, CARP = rad.