Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sat Apr 19 02:04:35 UTC 2014

On 4/18/2014 9:53 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2014, at 1:20 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> There isn't much a firewall can do to break it.
> As someone who sees firewalls break the Internet all the time for those whose packets have the misfortune to traverse one, I must respectfully disagree.

If end-to-end connectivity is your idea of "the Internet", then a
firewall's primary purpose is to break the Internet.  It's how we
provide access control.

If a firewall blocks "legitimate, authorized" access then perhaps it
adds to breakage (PMTU, ICMP, other blocking) but otherwise it works.

As to address the other argument in this threat on NAT / private
addressing, PCI requirement 1.3.8 pretty  much requires RFC1918
addressing of the computers in scope...  has anyone hinted at PCI for IPv6?

Jeff