Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

Dustin Jurman dustin at rseng.net
Thu Apr 17 18:04:56 UTC 2014

Always interesting responding to a NANOG thread.

- the approach is from an end user than service provider. The firewall operator would be more interested in identifying PPS for attacks / compromised hosts VS QOS but I supposed it could be used for QOS as well.  (Not my intent) So today we have NAT'd firewalls that overload a particular interface, IMHO since properly implemented V6 should not use NAT I would want my FW vendor to allow me to see what's going on PPS wise via the dashboard function.  Most V4 firewalls do this today at an interface level.

- Average packet size for all hosts would allow operator to make a determination and set thresholds for new forms of attacks and exploits.  (Thinking forward once applications take advantage of V6)

- MTU Negotiated Between Hosts - Since this happens between endpoints in v6 this could be help identify tunnels in the network / changes in WAN topology..  Not like we haven't seen that before.  While a change in flight should create a drop.. when the session reestablishes it could resize.

Dustin jurman