DMARC -> CERT?

Private Sender nobody at snovc.com
Thu Apr 17 13:13:47 UTC 2014

On Wed 16 Apr 2014 09:40:11 PM PDT, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Private Sender <nobody at snovc.com> wrote:

>> public

>>> I think you are right on that, but that doesn't change the fact that
>>> the sum of those things overburdened a lot of mailinglist operators.
>>> It is what it is, and the press has covered it and mailinglists are
>>> blocking/unsub'ing yahoo accounts in order to cope.
>>>
>>> -Jim P.
>>>

>> I'm sorry but is there a fundamental misunderstanding of dmarc going on
>> in this thread? Yahoo doesn't want you to be able to send "@yahoo.com"
>> email from anything other than THEIR servers which contain the private
>> key that corresponds to their DKIM implementation, and conversely dmarc.
>> "p=reject" tells the receiving domain to reject the message if it isn't
>> signed by the private key that corresponds with the public key that is
>> in the dkim txt record for "yahoo.com"
>>
>> Isn't this the whole point of dmarc? Stop spammers from sending email
>> with "@yahoo.com" that doesn't originate from a valid yahoo email server.
>>

> Yes, but @yahoo.com is a bad example because it delivers user originated
> content.
>

>> Yahoo's implementation of dmarc is working as intended.
>>

> Are you also speaking for all yahoo uses when you declare that they should
> no longer be able to participate on mailinglists?
>

>> Stealing someones password, and logging into their yahoo mail account
>> and spamming isn't going to matter to dmarc. The mail originated from
>> yahoo, and it was an authenticated user; the mail will be signed with
>> the DKIM key, it will be accepted by the receiving domain (unless the
>> email address is blacklisted by the receiving domain).
>>

> But, but, but.... Yahoo implemented DMARC to supposedly stop Spam...(which
> ironically others have shown that a lot of spam originates from Yahoo
> servers, but I digress)
>

>> There is no need to flame a company because they implemented a policy to
>> ensure QoS to their customers. Either push your mail through their
>> servers, or Just find somewhere else you can push your mailing lists
>> through.
>>

> LOL QoS, really?   QoS to me, a yahoo account holder, would be less inbound
> spam.
>
> -Jim P.

Well yeah inbound spam filtering would be nice. But they have refused
to do anything about if for a better part of a decade. Sadly, they
can't control mail originating from other domains (other than mail
stating it's from yahoo). Is it possible yahoo doesn't understand how
dmarc works?

--
-- Bret Taylor