AT&T / Verizon DNS Flush?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:25:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:21:34 -0600, Steven Briggs said:
>> Yeah...I know.  Unfortunately, the domain was "mishandled" by our
>> registrar, who imposed their own TTLs on our zone, THEN turned it back over
>> to us with a 48HR TTL.  Which is very bad.
>
> That's almost calling for a name-and-shame.

It's not hard to use WHOIS to lookup the registrar of each of the
nameservers for proofpoint.com
(ns1.proofpoint.us,  ns3.proofpoint.us).

Long TTLS are appropriate for a production zone,  but in my
estimation, it is improper for
a registrar to impose or select by default a TTL  longer than  1 hour,
for a newly published or newly changed zone.

The TTL can and should be  reasonably low initially  and
automatically increased gradually over time,
only after  the zone has aged with no record changes and confidence is
increased
that the newly published zone is correct.

--
-JH