DMARC -> CERT?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Apr 14 20:28:15 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 01:20 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
>> Whilst I don't agree with the way that Yahoo has done this (particularly
>> around communication),
>
> how could they have communicated this better? how can we all learn from this?

The obvious ones would have been to announce a flag day somewhere far
enough in advance to give list software devs time to adapt, and to work
with list software devs on a solution.

Everyone involved in DMARC has known from day 1 that it will break
mailing lists. There has been an enormous amount of whinging about this.
(If you think NANOG is bad, you should see the IETF lists.) But if
Yahoo! had stood up and said, "We know that this mailing lists are a
problem, but we think that the value of DMARC outweighs this because
...." and then actually set a data, maybe some of the whinging could
have turned into actual productive work on fixing the problem.

Doug