[[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Apr 13 21:18:57 UTC 2014

>And we all know how well civic duty works as a motivator. If we really
>want to do something
>constructive, convince the corpro-takers to open their wallets to fund
>those auditing functions.

For once, I agree with Mike.  (Twice in one year?)

Considering how widely openssl is used, and how important it is, it's
shameful how little support it gets.

I'd also point out that auditing security code is hard, and auditing
SSL/TLS code is extremely hard because the spec depends on a lot of
unusually arcane algorithms, and its implementation is almost
perversely complex (that means PKI and ASN.1.)  So random programmer
eyes are much less likely to find useful stuff than people who have
spent a while learning about the technology.

http://jl.ly/Internet/openssl.html

R's,
John