[[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 11 21:05:49 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:
> Please go read up on some recent and less recent history before making
> judgments on what would be unusually gutsy for that group of people.
>
> I'm not saying this has been happening but you will have to come up with a
> better defense than "it seems unlikely to me personally".

Let me know when someone finds the second shooter on the grassy knoll.
As for me, I do have some first hand knowledge as to exactly how
sensitive several portions of the federal government are to the
security of the servers which hold their data. They may not hold YOUR
data in high regard... but the word "sensitive" does not do justice to
the attention lavished on THEIR servers' security.

In WW2 we protected the secret of having cracked enigma by
deliberately ignoring a lot of the knowledge we gained. So such things
have happened. But we didn't use enigma ourselves -- none of our
secrets were at risk. And our adversaries today have no secrets more
valuable than our own.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004