Yahoo DMARC breakage

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Apr 9 17:27:55 UTC 2014

On 4/9/2014 10:13 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
> Am I interpreting this correctly -- that Yahoo's implementation of
> DMARC is broken, such that anyone using a Yahoo address to participate
> in a mailing list is dead in the water?

Their implementation is not 'broken'.

Rather, Yahoo has made a very conscious policy decision.  So the "such
that" clause of your sentence is correct.  That is, the effect really is
what you describe.  But it's the result of an informed corporate choice
rather than software or operations error.

 From background exchanges and Yahoo participation in the development of
DMARC, I believe they fully understood the technical and operations
effects of the decision.

Whether it is the 'right' choice is primarily a political debate, and
I'm not commenting on that.

d/

--
Dave Crocker