Recommendation on NTP appliances/devices

Julien Goodwin nanog at studio442.com.au
Fri Apr 4 09:38:21 UTC 2014

On 04/04/14 10:16, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 06:55:02PM -0400, David Hubbard wrote:
>> Anyone have recommendations on NTP appliances; i.e. make, model, gps vs
>> cell, etc.?  Roof/outdoor/window access not available.  Would ideally
>> need to be able to handle bursts of up to a few thousand simultaneous
>> queries.  Needs IPv6 support.
>
> 	Without roof access I'd suggest CDMA instead of GPS:
>
> 	http://www.endruntechnologies.com/ntp-server.htm
>
> 	Appears to fit your requirements.
>
> 	--msa

The downside of CDMA is it's going to live until Verizon & Sprint can
get enough of their customers migrated to LTE.

It really depends on how accurate you need to be.

If you only want <10ms accuracy but stable (It's trivial to get all
clients better than 1ms) then grab three to five old servers (or new
low-power ones), and just put ntpd on them, pointing at some nearby
upstreams.

If it *must* be an appliance the Symmetricom units are nice, and support
IPv6 (have done for years).