Recommendation on NTP appliances/devices

Julien Goodwin nanog at studio442.com.au
Fri Apr 4 09:37:54 UTC 2014

On 04/04/14 17:29, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2014-04-03 21:25 -0700), Will Orton wrote:
>
>> There are commercially available NTP servers with GPS + Rb oscillators... for NTP
>> use you could basically let it sync up a couple days, disconnect the GPS and let
>> it freerun. You'd still be within a millisecond of GPS even after a couple years
>> most likely. Reconnect it to GPS for a couple days every 1-2 years to resync it.
>> More fun and cheaper to build your own I'd bet, if you had the time.
>
> Meinberg[0] pegs rubidium at ±8ms per year, if you need NTP to do say single
> direction backbone SLA measurement you want to have microsecond precision.

Those two statements don't go together.

Also outside the HFTers most of us don't care about a few milliseconds
(sure an extra 50ms can be a pain, but is trivial to measure).

It's one thing to be a time-nut (I'm certainly one), but recognise that
straight NTP, well deployed, even syncing from the pool is sufficient
for nearly all use cases not needing sub-millisecond precision.