BGPMON Alert Questions

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 3 15:05:05 UTC 2014

On Thursday, April 03, 2014 03:55:11 PM Christopher Morrow
wrote:

> I'm going to guess:
>   1) who's going to pay for the filtering setup work?

Well, your customers are paying you to ensure they don't get
cut off due to your negligence.

You also don't want to become a "watch-out-for-that-one"
peer within the community.

But, perhaps those two ideals are not significant motivation
for change :-\.

>   2) we have always done it this way... why change?

This is probably a more endemic issue of our industry, where
operators find it hard to keep up with the times (there is
no shortage of "-bis" or BCP documents) through actual
useful implementation (BCP-38) vs. talk (SDN hype).

In the case of nailing routing filters for customers, one
thought that comes to mind is if your organization is large
enough, throw a warm body at the issue. There are lots of
interns or folk you can hire on a temporary basis to focus
on cleaning all this up, and getting the NOC trained and
clued up on the new strategy. The new strategy is not just
shiny, it could actually save you loss of customers and
community respect.

But that's just me...

Mark.