Suggestion on Fiber tester

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Sep 27 23:36:28 UTC 2013

On 9/26/2013 6:53 AM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> What flavor of multimode fiber are you dealing with?  The answer and
> the distance you can run becomes substantially more important at 10G.
>
> Hopefully you're at least dealing with OM3.  OM1/OM2 imposes distance
> limitations and you'll likely need mode-conditioning jumpers to work
> at 10G.

Excellent point.  We have some over-a-decade old 62.5u MM that is
useless for 10G (practically useless at 1G).  It was fine at the time
for 10Mb 10FL, but is now deprecated into oblivion.

New runs are SM between buildings, and 50u OM3/OM4 inside.

Another surprise that can vary by vendor... but "retail" Cisco LRM is
cheaper than their SR, and is made for MM fiber (granted, OM3/OM4 ideally).

Jeff