minimum IPv6 announcement size

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 26 20:34:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Darren Pilgrim <nanog at bitfreak.org> wrote:
> That's just it, I really don't think we actually have an exhaustion risk
> with IPv6.  IPv6 is massive beyond massive.

Hi Darren,

At one point, I saw a proposal to allocate IPv6 /15's to ISPs. One /16
so they could overlay 32 bits of IPv4 using 6rd and deliver a /48 per
ipv4 address and the other /16 for their native IPv6 operation,
packaged as a /15 so they wouldn't need multiple routes.

Yeah.

So if we let ourselves assign addresses carelessly we could run out in
the first half of this century. And while the plan above didn't fly,
IPv6 /19's and /22's have been allocated already.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004