Suggestion on Fiber tester

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Sep 26 17:52:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 02:23:37AM +0000, Blake Pfankuch - Mailing List wrote:
> I am in the market for a simple fiber tester.  I have about 80 pairs running through my complex and we are running into some possible issues with some of the really old ones.  The pen light to confirm that it's the right strand is going to require a little bit more insight to determine if there is an issue with fiber in conduit or patch.
>
> I don't need something super fancy, just need something that gives a good, bad or "holy crap is that concrete you are testing on" for starters.  I am also shooting for about $150-250 tops.
>
> Any suggestions?

How about using the built-in Digital Optcis Monitoring (DOM/DDM) in
modern SFPs?  Assuming your switches/routers and SFPs support it, you
can read the received power level right from your switches/routers.
The cost might be zero if you already have capabile equipment...

Combine that with a flashlight for identifying strands, and it might
be all you need...