Suggestion on Fiber tester

Darius Jahandarie djahandarie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 03:09:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Blake Pfankuch - Mailing List
<blake.mailinglist at pfankuch.me> wrote:
> I am in the market for a simple fiber tester.  I have about 80 pairs running through my complex and we are running into some possible issues with some of the really old ones.  The pen light to confirm that it's the right strand is going to require a little bit more insight to determine if there is an issue with fiber in conduit or patch.
>
> I don't need something super fancy, just need something that gives a good, bad or "holy crap is that concrete you are testing on" for starters.  I am also shooting for about $150-250 tops.
>
> Any suggestions?

The keyword is Optical Power Meter. There are some all-in-one meters
and some simpler meters, it depends on exactly what sort of fiber
you're testing and so forth.

The more advanced tool is an Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer, which
can tell you where the splices, breaks, and their locations are, but
they are considerably more expensive and that's not what you're
looking for from the sound of it.

--
Darius Jahandarie