iOS 7 update traffic

Ben ben+nanog at list-subs.com
Tue Sep 24 17:36:11 UTC 2013

On 24/09/2013 17:55, Glen Kent wrote:
> Picked this off www.jaluri.com (network and Cisco blog aggregator):
>>

>> http://routingfreak.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/ios7s-impact-on-networks-worldwide/
>>
>> The consensus seems to be for providers to install CDN servers, if they
>> arent able to cope up with an occasional OS update traffic.

Hang on a minute.....

That last paragraph in his blog sounds awfully similar to something I
posted here the other day !

He says on the 23rd of September :
Users are paying service providers to deliver their IP packets. If
providers cant handle the volume of traffic that they’re being asked to
deliver then its probably time for them to reevaluate their commercial
structure (charge customers more) or to redesign/overhaul their networks
(invest in CDNs, etc). Remember, with everyone connecting to the
“cloud”, the traffic that providers will be asked to push is only going
to increase with time ..

I said on the 20th of September :
Your user is paying you to push packets. If that's causing you a
problem, you either need to review your commercial structure (i.e.
charge people more) or your technical network design. Face the facts,
what with everyone jumping on the "cloud" bandwagon, the future is only
going to see you pushing more packets, not less !  So if you can't stand
the heat, get out of the kitchen (or the xSP industry).

Hmmmmmm..........  ;-(