iOS 7 update traffic

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 24 13:32:22 UTC 2013

On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:45 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Strawman, Randy.
>
> Clearly, the Internet is *not* up to the task of
>
> 1) updating several dozen million devices
> 2) on links of various quality,
> 3) with 650MB to 1.2GB downloads and
> 4) a client that doesn't understand how to restart
> 5) all at once,
>
> cause, over all, it went very poorly.

It went well for most users, it seems the 1-5% of people with "odd" configs are the problem.

Keep in mind that on any average day about 3% of the networks out there are broken based on pre-ipv6 day measurements.  That is, their IPv4 is completely busted.

Having the error/problem rate being down in that area is reasonable to me.

How many code-red/slammer scans do you still see a decade on?

Overall this was surely a network traffic event, and those that observed the IOS6 impact a year ago realized it would occur again with IOS7 and monitored for it.  Not everything will work for everyone, but for the majority of users it was fine.  (This from surveying my non-geek friends).

Traffic levels will lower about 7 days post-release.

Also, NYC and other police departments are advocating people update immediately for the anti-theft upgrades provided in the new software.  Let me know how your conversation with them goes.

- Jared