iOS 7 update traffic

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 14:31:32 UTC 2013

Bit torrent is a way to lighten the load on the originator, and to increase
the speed of the acquisition from the receivers. It is not a tool to
decrease network load, if anything it does the opposite most of the time.

Every now and then, a client will find a local network peer, but its
usually an accident more than anything from the algorithm it uses to try to
find the fastest senders with pieces it needs. This is most often a product
of far end congestion and what pieces are completed, and rarely upstream
related barring major issues. The algorithim is self greedy, not
altruistic, and definitely not written with ISP load issues in mind.

I'd much prefer CDN content over bittorrent from the ISP side.

-Blake