iOS 7 update traffic

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Sep 23 13:50:57 UTC 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Glen Kent <glen.kent at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW Linux distributions are available to download via bittorrent, so we
> dont really need Akamai/Limelight here. Is there a reason why Apple has not
> adopted bit-torrent for distribution? Are there legal/commercial
> implications using bit-torrent?

It's more about predictable results and outcome.  I can pay a CDN and likely get some sort of reporting/SLA.  I can't as easily insure that my torrent traffic will work as well.

Some carriers dabbled in doing something about peer-to-peer/torrent type traffic in the past, such as the P4P stuff:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/03/14/verizon-testing-p4p-for-peer-to-peer-delivery/

But I think it died off like many other things.  I think CNN.com video still wants the peer-to-peer octoshape thing, but I have always said NO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=octoshape+peer+to+peer

while an older article from 2009, here's why you should say no as well:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/02/cnn-p2p-video-streaming-tech-raises-questions/

- Jared