32-bit ASN acceptance by ISPs in ARIN region (was: Re: Weekly Routing Table Report)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Sep 22 23:15:28 UTC 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Routing Analysis Role Account <cscora at apnic.net> wrote:

> Analysis Summary
> ----------------
> Number of 32-bit ASNs allocated by the RIRs:                       5066
> Number of 32-bit ASNs visible in the Routing Table:                3947
> ARIN Region Analysis Summary
> ----------------------------
> Number of ARIN region 32-bit ASNs visible in the Routing Table:      21

Folks -

 If you work for a Internet service provider, please check your readiness
 to accept customers with 32-bit ASNs as soon as possible.  While we still
 have some 16-bit ASNs in ARIN's regional pool, availability is limited and
 we do not anticipate receiving additional 16-bit ASN blocks from IANA.

 Not being able to use 32-bit ASNs in your network and support systems will
 inevitably lead to confusion for those customers who are assigned them.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO