iOS 7 update traffic

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Sep 20 17:50:19 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Oh you mean that option that never made it past a internet-draft
> that expired 13 years ago[1] and is in the private range[2] to boot.
>
> If you want proxy discovery to work on all devices complete the
> process of getting a code point allocated then get the OS vendors
> to query for it.  252 is fine for experimenting / proof of concept
> but it really is the wrong value for long term use.
>
> Mark
>
> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01
> [2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xhtml

Sure!

I've found that Microsoft devices honor this option, but others do not.

I would be in support of something similar to provide this support, but the part of my original reply you missed is that the content is deliberately not-cachable on the part of either the CDN or the originator.  Microsoft patches are also not easily cacheable as well because they only request about 100Kb per request, so you get an awful lot of HTTP/206.

They also make it easier to run local caches for an enterprise.

The apple process requires the full patch to come down in one-shot and doesn't like being interrupted.

It might be easier for Warren to ship each customer a 16GB USB with the whole set of images for each device type.  Then again, they would have to know how to use them.... I know what to do, but my other family members, not so much...

- Jared