iOS 7 update traffic

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Sep 19 23:08:02 UTC 2013

On 9/19/13 3:57 PM, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
> 1) Rate limit the software update download ("Us")
>
> 2) Have device OS download the update in the background, and be
> resilient to failures with retries ("Manufacturer")
>
> 3) Don't present the update notification to the user until the update
> blob is already cached on the device ("Manufacturer")

Even in this case, this comes down to a whole bunch of consumers going
to the general menu selecting software update and selecting check for
software update. So insuring that consumers don't have the opportunity
to retrieve something that they want when they want it would be part of
a solution. some large fraction of the devices will be soaking this up
over the next couple days rather than yesterday some won't get it for
quite some time.

Software distribution can handle this, they could have been pushing
unreleased software blobs for a couple weeks for example, as some steam
game launches do for example. But, if you support near instantanious
gratification then, when somebody asks for something, then you start
fulfilling it.