iOS 7 update traffic

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Sep 19 22:49:07 UTC 2013

On 9/19/13 3:29 PM, Warren Bailey wrote:
> Your software updates (you meaning a user of the Internet) should not affect my experience. I'm not advocating we go back to 5.25 floppies and never look back. I'm asking..
>
> Is there a way for a COMPUTER and PHONE manufacturer to distribute their software without destroying most last mile connectivity?
>
> Who else has had traffic surges like this?

Flash traffic occurs, sometimes people fly planes into things, sometimes
nuclear reactors melt down, earthquakes or hurricanes occur  or cables
are segmented due to underwater landslides. and what infrastructure that
is left shifts abruptly from terrestrial to sattelite or gets droppped
on the floor. the best you can ask for on an instantanious basis is
graceful degredation under load.

this happens to not be weather.so maybe you can do something about it.
but ultimately a certain number of bytes have to be transfered and given
the architecture, the flash was driven by the consumer and not by
software automation, if we want the later to control it consumer choice
has to be taken out of the loop, which may or may not be palatable.