iOS 7 update traffic

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Thu Sep 19 20:18:32 UTC 2013

Absolutely correct. Large file updates etc are not an issue for wide band
communications networks. If you have 10mbps to your house with a 30ms
delay to your first hop.. You're sitting pretty.

If you have a 1mbps/512kbps pipe with a built in 750ms latency, things get
a little more complicated. Add in the fact that our bandwidth is insanely
expensive (link budgets put 1mbps are at about 1MHz *1bits/hz* which costs
roughly $3800 a month in sky access ONLY). We have some challenges, and we
try (sometimes actually succeed) to get data from point A to point B in an
acceptable time frame. The issue is.. When a user begins to EXCEED their
general usage things in contention land get pretty hairy. If my 500 remote
locations are running on 10MHz worth of capacity (about 10mbps down, 2mbps
up) at a 10:1 or 20:1 oversub things get tight sometimes. Imagine an
entire user base trying to update their electronic devices on something
that feels like 56k.

All things on the internet are not created equal, and I can accept that. I
can accept that I/we have challenges, but I would figure that those of you
who had easier lives would want to share that ease with us who are doing
things a little differently. I'm not saying poor us, we need love.. I'm
just saying.. I would really appreciate if those of you in the industry
who are responsible for these types of scenarios could think about the
people who are paying a lot of money, for a very little amount of
bandwidth. We don't tier our service by usage cap, but if
Apple/Microsoft/whoever increases their update rate we may have to end up
looking at something like that.

Big files, over a little pipe, with little margin for improvement, is
hard. It wouldn't be *THAT* hard to help out those who are trying to make
communications available to a much larger customer base than a traditional
ISP.

Group Hug.

//warren