iOS 7 update traffic

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Thu Sep 19 18:46:49 UTC 2013

A line, is a line, is a line, is a line.

There's no difference. Updates are available to all devices on a "download
day", and providers networks are drastically reduced in capacity as a
result. Apple does not cut them checks to serve it up, why should that
traffic be more important than anything else? I'd DSCP updates to best
effort hell and tell Apple I'd like a small share of the revenue they've
gained from all the devices *I* am responsible for updating. They're not
getting these updates OTA often, they actually advocate (shocking, AT&T
wanting to save bandwidth) using your home Wi-Fi to download it. Providers
can handle peaks, but SURGES begin to cause problems quickly. On
narrowband pipes, we actually KILL updates.. They screw us that hard.