iOS 7 update traffic

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 18:16:06 UTC 2013

Tens of millions of devices multiplied times a fairly large download =
lots of bandwidth.  It has an appreciable affect on the worldwide
Internet. I would love to see some aggregate statistics.

With most phones the carrier takes care of doing phone software updates
and rollouts over a period of time since they all have customized versions
of Android/Windows Phone/etc.  Apple controls their phone software so they
just hit the switch at a certain data/time and let as many people update
as their servers can handle.  Not to mention all the IPads which they
chose to update at the same time.

Last time around we saw a sustained increase in traffic for about a week
after the release date.

-Phil