iOS 7 update traffic

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Sep 19 18:06:59 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-19, at 13:58, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster at mykolab.com> wrote:

> Can someone please explain to a non-Apple person what the hell happened
> that started generating so much traffic? Perhaps I missed it in this
> thread, but I would be curious to know what iOS 7 implemented that
> caused this...

I think the inference is that iOS 7 caused the extra traffic by being available for download.

There are just a lot of Apple devices, and they tend to get upgraded more promptly than other platforms (e.g. on release day). We saw a similar phenomenon tracking downloads of the root zone DNSSEC trust anchor from data.iana.org -- we now see three million downloads per month, and pretty much all of those are iOS devices (or other devices impersonating them, which seems unlikely).

Joe