common method to count traffic volume on IX

Neil J. McRae neil at domino.org
Thu Sep 19 11:09:51 UTC 2013

Randy,

On 18/09/2013 03:39, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>somehow, a serious case of testosterone poisoning combined with insane
>goal drift has hit a number of the large european exchanges.  instead of
>the goal being how well they serve their local communities, they have
>gone wild with sleazy means of having traffic contests, doing really
>sick attempts at techno-colonial expansion into foreign countries and
>continents, ...  instead of running a public service, they think they
>are running competitive commercial enterprises.  imiho, the members
>should be up in arms.

I find this rant hilarious given your position during the attempted
commercial buy out of the London Internet Exchange! Others might class it
as rubbish!

The European exchanges are responding to a demand that is being created by
US operators (many of which are members), there is a gap that is perceived
that the model used in Europe (quite successfully I would add) may fill.
By all means, if there are other companies that can fill this demand they
should get their plans rolling.

As for local communities - the Internet itself is a local community which
we all do our best to serve.

>if you are jealous of commercial expansion, then send your resume to
>equinix.  Sheesh!

I've sent them mine but they said my approach to commercial expansion was
too aggressive! Oh dear! ;)

Regaards,
Neil.
(oh and yes I am a non-exec of the LINX but I'm speaking personally (but
you knew that already right?))