common method to count traffic volume on IX

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Sep 17 18:15:14 UTC 2013

On Sep 17, 2013, at 12:11 , Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies!
>

> Nick,
>
> counting traffic on inter-switch links is kind of cheating, isn't it?
> I mean if "input bytes" and "output bytes" on all the ports facing the
> IX members are already counted, then counting traffic on links between
> the switches in fabric will count some of the traffic multiple times.
>

> Patrick,
>
> how does smaller sampling period help to show more traffic volume on
> switch fabric? Or do you mean that in case of shorter sampling periods
> the traffic peaks are not averaged out and thus peak in and peak out
> traffic levels remain higher?

The graph has a bigger peak, and DE-CIX has claimed "see, we are bigger" using such graphs. Not only did they not caveat the fact they were using a non-standard sampling method, they have refused to change when confronted or even say what their traffic would be with a 300 second timer.

--
TTFN,
patrick